I decided to do a post each week of things that I have found interesting over the past week, whether they be relevant news items, awesome tools or just general useful articles.
If you feel that I’ve missed something useful, or would like to be featured in a future ‘what was interesting’, then please get in contact and I’ll do my best to take a look.
- How to configure PHP in Windows Azure – definitive tutorial on configuring PHP in windows azure.
- How To…Verify Email Address: Entity Framework Code First Migrations – I continued my series on getting started with ASP.NET web apps on Windows Azure. This week I looked at using entity framework code first migrations to add email verification fields to the standard ASP.NET MVC template.
- Excellent couple of articles on Windows Azure storage bindings for Azure Web Jobs:
- New client API Released for Google Play – Another update to the client API in google play.
- How to make infinite scrolling websites search friendly – Short but decent article on making infinite scrolling websites search crawler friendly via pagination.
- Using HTML5 Sectioning Elements – Great article from the guys at Treehouse about the right way to use HTML5 sectioning elements.
App Marketing & Business
- Should you publish your app on Amazon App Store – Excellent report on whether its worth publishing your app on the Amazon App Store. In short maybe yes if you have a tablet app aimed at the Europe and North American market.
- 10 Practical Techniques for Generating App Ideas – I blogged about techniques for app development.
- Strategic Role of Companion Apps – Nice article about opporunities in companion apps. The article is a little short and doesn’t dig into the the broader subject of companion apps enough, but I think its a good start and something worth discussing some more.
- What first versions of Google, Facebook and more can teach us about starting small – A really fantastic article from the guys at Buffer about starting small
- Worst Ideas for Apps – A must read article for all app startups!
App Industry News
- Was Y-Combinator Worth It – Great article on the power of Y-Combinator for the lucky few start-ups that get into it.
- Facebook and Parse Launch Bolts on GitHub to Simplify Mobile App Development – Interesting sounding ‘Bolts’ project to make app develpment easier.
- Samsung lays out which devices will get Android 4.4.2 KitKat – Comprehensive update on which Samsung devices will be getting Android Kit Kat
- Visual Studio Code Snippets Website – Excellent website for packaging, distributing and installing visual studio code snippets. I personally prefer ReSharper live templates, but this makes the standard visual studio model much more workable.
- TinyPNG – An amaziing tool for compressing png’s – reducing photshop pngs by huge amounts. This has made it into my ongoing toolkit now!
I’d love some feedback on what you think about codenutz.com – what’s useful, what’s not so useful, what you’d like to see more of etc. So if you don’t mind spending 5 minutes then please drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a comment, or tweet me.