I decided to do a post each week of things that I have found interesting over the past week, whether they be relevant news items, awesome tools or just general useful articles.
If you feel that I’ve missed something useful, or would like to be featured in a future ‘what was interesting’, then please get in contact and I’ll do my best to take a look.
- Connecting SQL Management Studio to SQL Azure – I wrote a simple walkthrough about connect SSMS to SQL Azure.
- Windows Azure Websites Best Practice – Excellent article detailing best practices with windows azure websites.
- Self-Healing Windows Azure Websites – Wow…just wow!!!
- The Knockoutjs utlity functions – I’ve been working with knockout quite a bit and was finding it difficult to get reference material for ko.utils…this got me pretty close.
- Mobile Apps vs Mobile Sites – Small but decent bit of analysis regarding mobile sites vs apps for user engagement.
- Using CreateJS – EaselJS – Really nice article getting you started with createjs, a library to make working with html5 canvas, audio and graphics easier.
- UnderscorJS 1.6.0 is out – the fantastic underscore library released an update to 1.6.0
- ASP.NET Identity 2.0.0 Beta – beta1 of Microsoft.AspNet.Identity is out
App Marketing & Business
- Why Android Apps Make Less Money – Excellent article regarding the state of android app sales and profitability, and what can be done to improve it.
- If you spend it, they will come – Great infographic from research that indicates some interesting findings, including app developers who spend more time and money on marketing have better results.
- Field of Dreams App Development – I blogged about app development and ignoring marketing.
Smoke Test Your Apps – Great guide for non-techies about smoke testing apps
Rick Strahl made an excellent observation about the problem with “free” as a business model:
The problem w/ Free is that it’s a terrible financial model that encourages making up for lost capital in other less savory ways @shanselman
— Rick Strahl (@RickStrahl) February 12, 2014
App Industry News
- Windows Phone and RT to Combine – A leak shows that windows phone and windows RT are unifying for app development. Sounds like a good idea to me!
- Microsoft Makes $1.6b a year from Android – The analyst roll out the ‘how much ms makes from android’ figures again.
- 7 Startups to Watch – 7 Startups to watch from Seedcamp London. Liking the sounds of Pycno and Concept Inbox.
- A Good Loading Spinner Generator – I was looking for a decent spinner/throbber gif generator and this preloaders.net looks like one of the best out there.
And to finish off my week windows update ruined my pc (again)!!
— Matthew Whetton (@codenutz) February 13, 2014